Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme (LExS)
For excellent Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master's degree programme and for excellent students of all nationalities enrolling in a Master of Law Advanced Programme or MSc in International Relations & Diplomacy.
- For whom?
- Additional requirements
- Scholarship Amount
- Application procedure for February 2016/ September 2016 intake
- Letter of motivation for LExS
- Please note
Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master's degree programme starting September 2016 or February 2017.
All MA, MSc and LLM programmes that are mentioned on the website Master's programmes in Leiden are eligible for LExS, but note that some programmes have a start date in September only.
Students of all nationalities enrolling in the Advanced Master programmes in the list below starting September 2016 or February 2017.
Note that the programmes listed below have a September start date only, with the exception of Advanced Studies in Air & Space Law:
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air & Space Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European & International Business Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Tax Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Public International Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Civil & Commercial Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Law & Digital Technologies
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European Tax Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European & International Human Rights Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Children's Rights
- MSc in International Relations & Diplomacy
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air & Space Law
- In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enrol. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad. We do not need proof of this, it is just to indicate the competitiveness of the scholarship.
- The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans ("Studiefinanciering"; more information). This requirement does not apply to applicants who apply for a LExS for programmes mentioned under point 2 "For whom".
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree with the exception of students applying for a Master programme for which a specified previous Master programme or work experience is mandatory (the LLM advanced masters qualify as such).
- Students who are granted a LExS must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the Rules and Regulations attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has three awards:
€ 10.000 of the tuition fee
€ 15.000 of the tuition fee
Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The number and type of award of the scholarship depends on the budget available for each Faculty department. The type of award has no reflection on the students' academic level of excellence. Please be aware that the LExS is not a full scholarship.
||Fill in your online application for admission to Leiden University.*
LExS closed for all programmes except Law for programmes starting in September 2016!
Deadline 1 October 2016 for all programmes starting in February 2017.
|2||Upload all required documents.
|3||Indicate clearly that you would like to apply for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page. Please note that if you apply for more than one master's programme, you have to indicate that you apply for the LExS scholarship for all these programmes seperately.
|4||Upload your letter of motivation for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page (see instruction under Letter of motivation for LExS below).**
|5||Submit your online application.
|6||Pay the application fee of € 100.
|7||The selection committee of the relevant faculty will review the applications. Students are selected on the basis of academic merit.
All LExS applicants will be informed by the scholarship department of Student Educational Affairs about the outcome of the selection procedure.
Mid November 2015 for the February 2016 intake.
End of April 2016 for the September 2016 intake.
Mid November 2016 for the February 2017 intake.
* Students who have a bachelor’s degree from Leiden University and intend to continue in the related master’s programme do not have to apply for admission but can register directly in studielink. If you want to be considered for a LExS please send an e-mail stating that you want to apply for the LExS including a motivation letter in pdf. In this e-mail clearly state: your name, your student number, which programme you want to apply for and for which intake. You can send this mail to: email@example.com. Step 1-6 are not applicable for these students. Please do respect the deadlines. Mails sent after the deadline will not be considered.
** To apply for the LExS, you should write a letter of motivation (in Word) with a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship. The Word document should then be attached on the scholarship page in your online application for the master's programmes for which you apply. Please note that if you apply for more than one master's programme, you have to indicate that you apply for the LExS scholarship for all these programmes seperately.
If you have already submitted your online application for admission to Leiden University, but would still like to apply for the LExS scholarship, we kindly request you to submit the LExS motivation letter to the Scholarships department (by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating "LExS motivation letter" in your subject) before the deadline. Please indicate your name, application number and programme you are applying for.
Students should be aware that the LExS is not a full scholarship, so additional funding is needed to finance study and living expenses. For your visa application you need to provide proof that you are able to pay the remaining tuition fee
proof of sufficient financial means of regular living expenses (approximately €12,000 to €15,000 per year).
It is possible to submit applications for more scholarship programmes simultaneously. However if you are awarded a LExS, please note that:
1. It is possible to combine your LExS award with another partial scholarships, but this has to be confirmed with the Scholarships Department in writing in advance;
2. It is not possible to combine the LExS with another scholarship that is financed by Leiden University for the same study programme;
3. It is not possible to combine the LExS with another full scholarship for the same study programme.
Students should notify the Leiden University if another full scholarship such as the Netherlands Fellowship Programme, StuNed, Jean Monnet etc. has been awarded and which scholarship has been accepted.
(Also see under 7 of the LExS Rules and Regulations).
The student is responsible for submitting a complete application, according to the steps described under 1-6 by the aforementioned deadline. Leiden University cannot be held responsible for late and/or incomplete applications.