Health and liability insurance

All residents in the Netherlands are legally required to have adequate health insurance. Third-party liability insurance is also highly recommended!

Health insurance

You are legally required to have health insurance to cover any medical costs you may incur during your stay. You must take out a health insurance policy before you arrive. There are various types of health insurance:

  1. Dutch public health insurance(basiszorgverzekering), which is required if you:
    - work alongside your studies
    - undertake a paid internship
    - are paid as a PhD candidate at the university
    Please note: if you fall into one of these categories and fail to take out Dutch public health insurance, you risk having to pay a substantial fine.

  2. EU health insurance card
    As an EU student, you are most likely covered for a temporary stay in the Netherlands by the health insurance scheme in your home country. Please check this in your home county before departure and remember to request a EU health insurance card (E111).
    European health insurance schemes can differ from country to country and might not always live up to expectations. Therefore we strongly advise you to top up your coverage by taking out an additional student insurance policy, see below.  

  3. Student insurance policies
    Non-EU students, and EU students requiring extra coverage, can apply for a student insurance policy from a Dutch insurance company. Various levels of coverage in different price ranges are available. An added advantage is that some student insurance packages also cover personal liability, household contents insurance, theft, repatriation and legal advice.
    One option is the student insurance policy offered by AON insurance company. They offer insurances for Non-EU students and EU students.

  4. Home country insurance policy
    You can also take out insurance in your home country. Always contact your insurance provider in advance to check that you are covered for any medical costs you might incur during your entire stay (for both physical and mental health issues), and be sure to bring this policy with you to the Netherlands. Be aware that many private policies do not meet the requirements laid down by the Dutch immigration department for individuals needing a residence permit! Therefore we strongly advise taking out one of the specialised student insurance policies mentioned above, rather than a private policy from home. Please note that travel insurance alone is never sufficient. 

If you do not have an AON (ICS Complete+) policy, Dutch public health insurance, or an EU health insurance card, please use this insurance checklist to verify whether your insurance policy meets all requirements. If still in doubt after going through the checklist please send a scanned copy of your policy to your International Programmes Officer at the Admissions Office.

For more information on health insurance in the Netherlands please visit Study in Holland website / healthcare insurance.

Liability insurance

We strongly advise you to take out third-party liability insurance to cover any accidental damage or harm you may cause to other persons or property during your stay. This is not compulsory according to Dutch law, but is standard practice in the Netherlands and highly advisable. You can purchase liability insurance for a reasonable price from one of the aforementioned providers in advance, or from an insurance company upon arrival.
For more information, please visit Study in Holland website / Liability Insurance.

Letter from CAK (National Health Care Institute)

The majority of international students residing in the Netherlands do not need to take out Dutch public health insurance. The Dutch public health insurance (basiszorgverzekering), is only required if you:

  • work alongside your studies
  • undertake a paid internship
  • are paid as a PhD candidate at the university

Please note: if you fall into one of these categories and fail to take out Dutch public health insurance, you risk having to pay a substantial fine.

However after registering at your local Dutch town hall you may receive a letter from the National Health Care Institute (CAK) stating that, according to their records, you are not insured and must take out Dutch public health insurance (basiszorgverzekering) immediately. It is important that you respond to this letter within three months, even if you think you have received it by mistake, otherwise you risk being fined. Please refer to the Study In Holland FAQ on letter from the CAK for information of what action to take.

Last Modified: 05-09-2017